Your screen is black. When you change channels, you may get the information bar with the program title and description.
- Your TV is not receiving or displaying the signal from your DIRECTV® Receiver.
- Your receiver has correct guide information, but is not processing video correctly.
- You are viewing a channel where an upcoming sporting or special event is scheduled or has recently ended.
- Turn TV off and on.
- Turn DIRECTV Receiver off and on.
- Make sure light on front panel of receiver is lit.
- Press the “TV/DSS” button on the remote control or front panel of the receiver (not all receivers have this option).
- Reset the receiver by unplugging the power cord for 15 seconds.
- Check all cable connections between the dish, receiver, and TV.
If the picture is black, but the program title and description display in a banner the top of the screen:
- If the problem is only occurring on a few channels, check the detailed description of the program through the on-screen guide on those channels. Often, we display a blank screen with a banner before and after a high-profile event to alert customers about the event.
- Reset the receiver by turning off and unplugging the power cord for 15 seconds.
- Run a signal meter test to check your signal strength (press “menu” and look under “setup” or “installation”).
If your signal strength is below 70 (or below 60 on HD receivers) in clear weather on transponders 1 and 2, see troubleshooting steps for “Searching for satellite signal. Please stand by”. You may see zero strength on transponders 4, 12, 18, 20, 26 and 28. This is normal in many areas.